The best ideas from Japan...
Games to Math FUN!Main Menu - About the site - Contact
This is a great review game that can either be played on the floor with
big A4 cards, or across the desk with smaller ones.
The game can be played with any number of players, from 2 to 200 - if you have enough cards!
1. Give each player a pile of cards, each with a number written on them . They can be different cards, but the amount of cards should be the same for each person.
2. The teacher says "go!"
3. The kids pick up the top card of their pile of cards.
4. They shout out the number on the card.
5. They put the card on the floor and walk onto it.
6. Repeat from 3, but this time instead of simpy shouting out the number, they must add this number to the previous one and shout out the answer!
7. Each card has to touch the edge of the previous card.
8. First kid to reach the other side of the classroom wins!
You can add variations such as addding the first number, then subtracting the next one.
For the desktop version you print out smaller cards and they have to race each other to the edge of the desk ( obviously without walking on the cards this time!).
If you like this idea, please tell your friends!