The best ideas from Japan...
Games to Math FUN!Main Menu - About the site - Contact
This is a method of counting how many points teams have in a game. It is similar to the Grand Prix Game or the Banana Tree Game.
1. Draw a "ski track" on the board from right to left. Have several "markers" along the track (eight markers will last about 20 minutes), and a start and finish gate.
2. Have a cut out skier and a cut out snowboarder and place them (using magnets) on the start line.
3. Assign the kids to either ski or snowboard teams. A good way is by starting with the kid at the near left corner of the room and saying "ski". Then "snowboard" to the next kid, etc.
4. Say "ski team stand up". Just to make sure everyone remembers what team they're on!
5 Play some music and pass a ball to select a student ( see the banana tree game ) . Ask them a question.
6. If they are correct the skier or snowboarder moves one space along the track towards the finish.
This is a cool game to play in the winter (its not much good in June, unless you're in the Southern Hemisphere of course!!)
If time is getting short then make each question worth 2 points instead of one.
If you like this idea, please tell your friends!