If you’re looking to add a little more to your Genki Phonics. I just realized I didn’t have this on the main site, so enjoy! 🙂
Advanced Phonics Teaching 35 Minute Phonics Lesson Plan
**** Ninja Tip: Don’t try teaching this 35 Minute Lesson Plan until you have mastered how to teach the “5 Minute Phonics” **
For those of you who have already mastered the 5 Minute Phonics and want to do full 35 minute long phonics lessons, here we expand things out with more games and activities.
The teacher points to the letters (graphemes) the students have studied before. The students say the name and do the gesture. Build up speed and change the order.
Ninja Tip: The gesture of each sound is the gesture used for the vocab item printed at the top of each page.
2. New Sound
Point to the pictures on the posters/workbook. The children tell you what they are (the idea is they will have previously studied this with Genki English) Then you ask them “So what do you think today’s sound is?” Give them a while and they’ll figure it out.
Ninja Tip: If the students don’t already know the sound then you are doing phonics too early. Phonics is the skill of taking sounds you already know, from the speaking program or real life, and showing them how to read and then write them.
3. 👍👎Thumbs Up Thumbs Down
Teacher says a word. The children put thumbs up if it contains today’s phoneme. Thumbs down if it doesn’t. Very popular. Children don’t have to know the word for this activity, the focus is the sound.
4. Letter Formation
The letter (grapheme) that represents today’s sound is introduced for the first time, by tracing over the big image in the poster
The sound is constantly said whilst drawing the letter in the air. (Make sure you face the same direction as the students when drawing in the air)
Using a word from the “reading” section of today’s lesson ( i.e. a word that only contains sounds the children have already done so far) the teacher silently does the gesture of the first sound in the word.
* The students repeat the gesture and say the sound out loud.
* The teacher gestures the second sound.
* The children repeat the gesture and say the sound.
Continue through the word faster and faster until the children have blended it and guessed what the word is.
6. Blending Game
1. Two children come to the front.
2. 1 child is shown a word from today’s reading section (containing phonemes the kids know. )
3. This child mimes the first letter using the gesture.
4. The second child guesses and says the sound
Continue through the word until the second child can blend the sounds and say out loud what the word is.
7. 🖐 Phonics Fingers
1. Teacher says a word that contains phonemes the children know.
2. The children think how many phonemes there are.
3. They form this number of phonemes with their fingers
4. The teacher says “go”
5. The children show their hand to the teacher and shout out how many phonemes there are.
6. Everyone turns their hand over and counts out the phonemes one by one, gradually increasing the speed till they blend together.
8. Funky Words
Introduce today’s “Funky Word” (i.e. sight word) from today’s Genki Phonics lesson.
1. In the workbook the children get in pairs and take turns reading the list of phonemes they’ve done so far e.g. s i t n a etc.
2. Children test their partner by pointing at random letters and getting their partner to say them.
3. Then they sound out and blend a series of words and then stories built using phonemes they have studied.
10. 📝 Writing / Dictation
1. The teacher says a series of sounds covered so far.
2. The children write down the correct letters.
3. The teacher then says a series of words that contain phonemes the children know.
The children listen then figure out the phonemes and write them down as a word.
11. 🎉 The end!
End of class, finish off with a Genki English song that features one of today’s key words!
There you go, a full 35 minutes phonics lesson.
Additionally you also have the Phonics Stories in the posters & workbooks if you want even more reading practice.
Ninja Tip: Timing wise, allow around 5 minutes per line of story for the kids to read it in pairs.
For VIP Members all the workbooks, posters etc. can be found on VIP Phonics Page
Enjoy! & If you have any questions then do let me know!
P.S. If you’re on PC or Mac there are subtitles available on this video:
Or here is a refresher review of the 5 Minute Phonics Lesson Plan