The full Kiev workshop was two days on Saturday & Sunday, and then on the evening before, just for the very special people who came (or flew!) in early, we did a special one hour pre-conference bonus mini workshop.
And as luck would have it, Viktor very kindly videoed it and we have it on Youtube for you!
Super Ninja Tip: Always video your own lessons, you’ll see how many mistakes you’re making – just like I did today! 🙂 Oh, and just ignore my big belly after all that Italian and Slovak food! 🙂
It’s an hour long, so grab a coffee and I’m sure you’ll find a multitude of little teaching gems to help your lessons – especially the discipline techniques at the beginning!
(Plus check out the teachers who were brand new to Genki English looking completely shocked! 🙂 )
Here’s some of what we did:
– Be a role model
– Get control of the class with the Disco Warm Up discipline.
– Why Genki English songs are different.
– Genki English homework with Left & Right
– Why teachers are not normal people. 🙂
– Vocal warm up for teachers – how not to lose your voice (19 mins)
(+ How to be Genki *and* quiet)
– Basic Lesson Plan: Songs for Input & Games for Output (23 mins)
– Example with Where is Baby Monkey?
+ Pronunciation\Different intonations comes from computer (great for adults).
– Gestures come from the kids – so they own it.
* Ninja Tip: Normally I’d ask kids to guess what rooms are in the house, and not just introduce them in order. Plus of course you always ask the kids what they think each word means! But just for today I just wanted to run through them so the teachers all had the same gestures.
– Oops, looks like Viktor mixed up the order, normally we do the song *before* the game! 🙂
– Don’t talk like a robot! 🙂
– We need some adrenaline, a goal – especially for older kids.
– How long do you take compared with other English schools? 3days or 2 years?
– Get as good as possible, as fast as possible.
– Plus don’t assume everyone knows the rules of the game!
– @42mins, we mixed these files up, the song comes *before* the class game! 🙂
– Always add claps to end of songs ( or even verses if you can get the timing right!)
– Then we did the needs analysis (and I think we got the videos mixed up a touch!) 🙂
– Beautiful & Gorgeous vs. A and B groups! 🙂
– If I could wave a magic wand …..
– Ninja Tip: Speak a foreign language occasionally so the kids don’t just mechanically repeat “OK!” whenever you say “OK?” 🙂
– Plus a quick look around the bookstore & Kiev city center!
And we went through all the problems in the next two days!
Would you like more?
I hoped you liked the video, please do let me us know in the comments if you did and we might be able to upload some more for you.
Thanks everyone for an amazing pre-conference, and especially Nataly for organising everything, you were all fantastic!
And if any of you would like to join my next workshops, check out my upcoming schedule!