This page in Japanese
Here is a great idea sent in by a Genki English viewer. Try it out and
let us know what you think!
If you have a great idea please share it with everyone by submitting it to this page! Or check out the main Genki English Games Page
Or if you'd like to know when this page is updated, have a look at the RSS Updates page!
target_English: reported speech
I tried this yesterday with adults and they thought it was great. I'm sure some even started to think the dragon was real.
1) The teacher draws a dragon on the blackboard.
2) Draw a collar and leash on the dragon or attach a piece of string.
3) Hold onto the string or pretend to hold the leash.
4) Tell the children you have brought your pet to school and that they can ask it any question they wish.
5) After a child asks a question of the dragon, pretend to listen to it answering you and then report back to the student by saying "the dragon said that he/she...is a...,
/his/her ...name is...
best friend is a ....
6) Continue for a while, then ask a student to draw her / his "pet" and get the students to ask questions about the new pet.
Alternatives to drawing dragons or other monsters ( e.g. Halloween ) / animals can be clipart pictures (maybe the monkey family) or bring in a soft toy or puppet (maybe Sooty or Sweep).
It doesn't have to be an animal, a picture of a person famous or otherwise is fine.
If you have a great idea please share it with everyone by submitting it to this page!
Or check out the main Genki English Games Page
Sign up to get my top tips, games & hints via email!