Here is a great idea sent in by a Genki English viewer. Try it out and
let us know what you think!
If you have a great idea please share it with everyone by submitting it to this page! Or check out the main Genki English Games Page
Or if you'd like to know when this page is updated, have a look at the RSS Updates page!
target_english: Numbers (1-1000), Alphabet
This game only needs a whiteboard and a marker!
1. Divide the class into two teams and draw a flag in the middle of the board with a "hole" next to it.
2. On one side of the board draw two tees with two golf balls on them and number them "1" and "2" for each team.
3. Write the number range you will be using on the top of the board (Start with 1-20 for younger grades and 1-100 for the more advanced).
4. Pick a number in your head (write it down if it's a big number so you don't forget!) and let the kids decide the team to go first with rock, paper scissors. Let's pretend we chose 18 as the answer.
5. They guess a number (hopefully they will all agree on the number) and you draw a line from their golfball to the the hole. If they are spot on then the line goes right into the hole. If not, stop the line either too short or too far from the hole.
6. Draw the ball and write their team number inside and underneath write the number they guessed. e.g. here team 1 guessed 16, which is less than 18 so it didn't quite make it. You can make the line go wiggly or high up into the "air" for suspense.
7. Let the next team guess. The closer they get to the hole the better they will be able to narrow it down to the number.
8. Once a team guesses the number, they get a point and get to go first on the next round.
You can expand the range of numbers up to 1000 at least. This is a great way to get them to practice saying big numbers.
This game also works with the letters of the alphabet. Writing the alphabet at the top makes it easy, and erasing makes it much more difficult.
If you have a great idea please share it with everyone by submitting it to this page!
Or check out the main Genki English Games Page
Sign up to get my top tips, games & hints via email!