Here is a great idea sent in by a Genki English viewer. Try it out and
let us know what you think!
If you have a great idea please share it with everyone by submitting it to this page! Or check out the main Genki English Games Page
Or if you'd like to know when this page is updated, have a look at the RSS Updates page!
Author: Rick Y. Lee
This is a very good and exciting game whenever you want to review vocabulary or target questions. Its especially useful when you first learn a new thing. The things you need are flashcards of your target English and several small pieces of paper (post it papers work great).
1. On the small pieces of paper, write number values: for younger kids write 1-5, for older you can use tens, hundreds, and even thousands.
2. However, on two or three pieces of paper, draw a disasteri.
3. Now stick them to the back of the flashcards so the kids can't see it,
4. Put the flashcards on the board.
Playing the game
1. The kids come up a few at a time representing their teams.
2. They will point at a vocabulary card they know, say what it is, then take the card down.
3. They then take the paper from behind the card. The point values add up.
4. HOWEVER if they get a disaster card, all their cards get wiped out and their points become zero!!!
This game is incredibly exciting and kids get freaked out when they think there might be a disaster!
The original title of this game was "tsunami", of course this was made before the Tsunami incident, so feel free to change it to a volcano, monster, truck, or whatever you think will get the kids excited (usually they break out into a chant with the last kid!!).
This game works great for any level, and any target question. You can be strict and not allow them to get points if they screw around or it's incorrect, but usually I let it slide. The only possible problem is when the sensitive kids pick up the disaster they might start crying so rig the game so that a genki kid will pick it up. This game also works really well in small groups. Have fun!
by Rick Y. Lee
If you have a great idea please share it with everyone by submitting it to this page!
Or check out the main Genki English Games Page
Sign up to get my top tips, games & hints via email!