This Page in Japanese
Here is a great idea sent in by a Genki English viewer. Try it out and
let us know what you think!
If you have a great idea please share it with everyone by submitting it to this page! Or check out the main Genki English Games Page
Or if you'd like to know when this page is updated, have a look at the RSS Updates page!
author: Craig Dwyer
target_English: Shopping Conversation
big_small: Big groups
This game takes a little bit of prep work, but once you've got it made you can use it again and again.... Great for grade 5 and 6
1. First, prepare a lot of cards related to shopping...close to 30... (clothes, food, etc.) and some fake money.
2. Make shopping lists (as many as their will be teams), with the the name of the item and a place for the price. Each team should have a different list, and no two items should overlap.
Pants (picture) _________\
Shirt (picture) _________\
shoes (picture) _________\
Toque (picture) _________\
3. Make vendor inventory Cards. Each vendor should have a different card and no two items should overlap onto two lists.
Jeans - 5\
pants - 2\
Hat - 5\
4. In the Gym, or outside, set up five tables and sit a student at each table (make sure they are well spread out). Give each student at the table a vendor list and the matching cards.
5. The rest of the teams should be in line away from the tables ready with their shopping lists. When the teacher says go, the first person runs to a table and asks if they have the first item on the list. If they do, they buy it, and return to the group where the second person looks for the second item on the list. If they don't, go to a different table and ask again. Continue until one team is finished their list.
Excuse me, do you have a_______?
Yes, I do!! or No, I don't.
How much is it?
(change money for the card)
6. The winning team now becomes the vendors and we repeat the process.
This game work very well with grade 5 and 6, and the difficulty can be easily changed. I use it is as a writing practice game, as they have the write all the names of the items beside the picture (on their shopping list) and also add up the total of everything they bought. The kids love it!!! and they really forces them to use English.
If you have a great idea please share it with everyone by submitting it to this page!
Or check out the main Genki English Games Page
Sign up to get my top tips, games & hints via email!