Page in Japanese
by Richard Graham
Lots & lots of shapes
Lots & lots of shapes
This is one of those themes that kids can sometimes find a little boring,
but not with this song!
WARNING: It will stick in your head all day!
How to teach ....
The actions are simple, just mime each shape as you sing it.
The words are introduced in a specific order to make it easier to teach some of the more complicated shapes really easily. The rhymes also help a lot.
Top 5 Classroom Shapes Games
I put a shout out over on the blog the other day for everyone's favourite shapes games. Here are the top
1. Hamsters make a circle!
1. Get the kids into two or more groups.
2 Give the groups funky names ( e.g. animals for younger kids).
3. Then you say "Cats, make a circle" "Hamsters make a circle".
4. Each team makes a circle and join hands.
5. Then you can say other things like "Hamsters, make a triangle. Cats, make a square" and see which team does it the quickest!
6. Repeat from 5.
2. Rope Game
Give the kids pieces of string (or rope). Say a shape and they have to make it with the rope! (From Sonja)
3. What's missing?
(Can you see which one is missing ?)
1. Show all the flashcards (see the box above right!)
2. The kids close their eyes.
3. You take one away.
4. The kids have to guess which one you took away.
5. Keep going till they are all gone!
4. Monsters & Robots
Use the Let's make a monster song but this time add in shapes as well as colours and body parts. e.g. This monster has 7 green triangles for arms or This robot has 3 purple diamonds for eyes. (From Nena)
Put the minicards in a bag. Choose of the shapes to be the "kaboum" card. One child comes and picks a card and says the English, getting 1 point. But if it is the "Kaboum!" card everyone shouts out "Kaboum!!!" in a big voice. ( from Nathalie)
6. Bonus: What's on the Christmas tree?
Get some pictures of Christmas trees from magazines or google images. The kids try and find out what shapes they can see. If they've already done the Under the sea lesson they can say things like "I can see a triangle!", "I can see a purple star" etc. etc.
Sign up to get my top tips, games & hints via email!