Today’s workshop was very interesting! First it was a festival day so it was really hard for teachers to get here.
Then some of the teachers were also banned, by their Board of Education, from making English lessons too exciting for the kids (see the video below for why!)
So I showed them the alternative Genki English lesson plan, which actually is much better for the kids and easier to teach, but you do need a computer to do it….
1. Warm up as usual, reviewing all the Genki English you’ve covered before.
2. New English: now instead of using the flashcards and “repeat after me” you just get one kid to the front who controls the computer as the whole class does the Teacher’s Set computer game for today’s lesson. As the theme is totally new for them (otherwise there would be no point teaching it!) then it is a real challenge, but immense fun for the kids. Have a look at Genki Koreanor Spanish if you want to experience the feeling for yourself. It takes a while but the kids get a real sense of achievement learning this way.
3. Meaning: Now you use the “Words 2” section of the Teacher’s Set theme to double check the meanings of each new phrase. Don’t tell the kids, ask them what they think it means and make sure there are no misunderstandings (e.g. thinking “I’m hungry” means “My stomach aches” or something – it happens!)
4. To remember for next time: Teach the song as usual using the Mini Lesson, again in theTeacher’s Set
Then get them to sing the song with the music as best they can without being too loud (because they were banned from doing this!) but with gestures if they can.
5. Practice: Now do the normal classroom game from the Lesson Plans book.
What you’ll find is a lesson that seems more traditional on the surface, and although it lacks a lot of the confidence and “success” training of a normal Genki English lesson, it does actually work very well, mainly thanks to the computer games from the Teacher’s Set.
Anyway…. here’s a video I took in the evening that explains why the teachers have to do it like this….
P.S. New songs (school subjects!) in the Beta Test Forum!