Lots of you were really interested in the Flipped Classroom idea last week.
And …. also lots of you had lots & lots of questions and fears about how it works or not.
The biggest fear was …..
🙀 “Parents want fluent kids but don’t have time to (or just won’t) help at home”
I’ll fix that in a second. 🙂
And the other big fear was that just assigning Youtube videos wouldn’t work. Which is true, Youtube videos are just too passive. That’s why we spent a lot of time and money making the Genki English full software (not just a part, but everything you have in your Teacher’s Set) available on the kids’ mobiles and tablets. That way they can hit a word a 1000 times and it will give them all the different intonations and pronunciations. That’s what makes the amazing difference to their accents & fluency!
So that’s the game changer.
But …. you still need to get the parents on board in the first place!
Sara on Facebook said it best:
“No judging but empathy. It’s easy to fall and feel angry with parents but sometimes they just need somebody to help them.”
And a few keys I’ve found that work really well in helping the parents with their fears….
- 🤝 “United We Learn”: Do regular meetings for parents (even just once a year) or just chat with them as much as you can. You’ll find that they are really wanting to help more at home but just don’t know how. One teacher yesterday told me that when she spoke to the parents they were asking if their kids could come for twice the lessons! The teacher didn’t have time so the Genki Flipped Classroom works perfectly.
- 💡 “Tiny Triumphs”: They don’t need to do huge things, show the parents how starting with even small at-home efforts can boost their child’s English progress.
- 🎯 “Doable Dreams”: Fluent in a week? Probably not, but listen to what goals they would like, in most cases they are ones you can achieve!
- 🤗 “We’re in this together”: The big one: From now on, only take on parents who are into supporting you the whole way. It’s exhausting doing everything on your own. So if the parents say they just want to drop the kids off and nothing else, try suggesting the school down the street. Eventually you will then have a school of only amazing students and parents! ( And remember there just aren’t enough amazing teachers to go round, once you start finishing your courses in half the time of your competition, you will be in huge demand!)
- 🏆 “Parent Champions”: Once you get some parents onboard, share their stories with the other parents so they can see how flipping the class really is the secret.
Does that get you excited? Or are there any other fears that are stopping you flipping your class this week? (And Genki English is the best way to do it, of course! 😀)
Let me know and I’m sure we have a solution for you, this really is the future of stress free English teaching & it’s definitely not something to miss out on!