Many of you have become fans of Mido Farid’s games, and Mido has just sent in this piece on thoughts about teaching children. What do you think?
We all know that teaching English as a second language can be very hard. But teaching children can be really very hard. So I want to give you some of my experience. Hope you think about these words……….
- Don’t stress.relax and enjoy-…. teaching young children can be frustrating and stressful, don’t beat yourself up just because the children can’t get a grasp of all of your lesson. Just relax and enjoy their spontaneity and candor.
- Don’t punish..do reward..use positive reinforcement to encourage good behavior, if you use punishment to correct bad behavior ,the child will only turn against you.
- Don’t get mad; do understand – instead of getting angry at a child for an inappropriate behavior, try to understand why the child acted a certain way. It may help you to find a solution to keep it from re-occurring.
- Don’t teach; do inspire – teach is what you do with a classroom of tired, middle-age businessmen. Be an inspiration to young children to learn and think for themselves. Who knows? You may have the future in your class..
- Don’t correct; encourage – if a child makes a mistake, instead of saying ‘ that’s wrong’ ,try saying ‘ that was good,but let’s try it this way ‘
- Don’t frown ; smile – frown and the word frowns at you, smile and the word smiles with you..
Some words about children
- Children tell their parents everything . Make sure that the children only have reasons to tell good things to their parents about you.
- Children imitate adults. Always show your best for them to imitate. There is no such thing as a ‘ problem child ‘ a child’s bad behavior is always learned from watching an adult, especially a teacher. Children don’t know any better. Don’t blame or punish them for something that they probably don’t know is wrong or bad..
- Treat every child equally. Children notice favoritism, no matter how minimal. Try to make everyone feel that they are all equally important.
- Treat the children as if each child was your own. You shouldn’t want your child being taught by someone grumpy and indifferent . Unlike adults, young children do not want much from them. All they want is your love and attention. Give it to them unconditionally. And who knows? You may not only be making him or her a better person,but you may also be making this crazy world of ours a better place to live..
I hope you like this.
P.S. If you’re a VIP member you can download both of Mido’s amazing ebooks of games:
If you’re not a VIP member yet – you know you want to be! – order your Teacher’s Set now and you’ll be a VIP too!