This is a great game I heard from Diep at the ACET meeting the other day. Their next meeting is October 2nd and for 1,500 yen you get a ton of great ideas!
So… today we have “Dice Attack”:
1. Spread out the mini cards for today’s theme e.g. Happy Halloween.
2. The first student rolls a die.
3. They have to make that many sentences using any of the cards e.g. if they roll a 4 they have to say “Look, there’s a ghost” “Look, there’s a wizard, “Look there’s a mummy”, “Look there’s a broom” or any of the 4 phrases that they like.
4. If they say them all they get that amount of points. If they can’t say that many, zero points!
5. Student from next team repeats from step 2.
6. First team to reach 20 points wins!
Very simply but very cool.
As the students pick the cards they want to say themselves, then it’s great for teacher as you can see which phrases they find easy and which ones need more practice. Of course phrases (even simple ones like in this lesson we have “Look, there’s a …” ) are always better than just vocab. (Keep tuned for a fantastic new sentence to use with these cards coming soon!)
Trick or Treat Twelves
Is it bad luck to get the 12? (i.e. you have to say 12 things!) or good luck (because you get a chance to get a massive 12 points!)
“I like … / I don’t like …” is a great phrase to use with this theme: “I like graveyard gravy but I don’t like tombstone tea!”
Or another brilliant idea is to use it in the beginning review.
1. Put out mini cards for * every * Genki English lesson you’ve done so far.
2. The kid rolls the dice as before.
3. They say that many phrases and get that many points.
4. But … this time you take the cards away that have been said!
5. Team with the most points when all the cards have gone is the winner.
Again this is really great to test what the kids do (and don’t !) remember and the game gets tougher and tougher as the more complicated cards are left on the table.
Anyway, have a try in your lessons and let us know what you think!
P.S. * Huge * special present coming up soon ….. just a few technical things to sort out now …. get your VIP membership in now!